at (one”s) ease
In a relaxed, comfortable, unencumbered, unembarrassed, or unanxious position, manner, or situation. I want you to be at your ease here, so please ask for anything that will make your stay more enjoyable. I”m not under too much pressure; they told me to submit the report at my ease.See also: ease
1. Calm and comfortable with a particular task or in a certain environment. She seems much more at ease now that she”s been doing her new job for a month. Kids are usually at ease once they become accustomed to the routine of kindergarten.2. In relaxed posture, as of soldiers in the military. At ease, gentlemen!See also: ease
without worry or anxiety. The performer is at ease on the stage. After she had met a few people, Mary felt at ease with the group.See also: ease
1. Also, at one”s ease. Comfortable, relaxed, unembarrassed, as in I always feel at ease in my grandmother”s house. The related idiom put at ease means “make comfortable, reassure,” as in I was worried that the letter would not arrive in time, but the postmaster put me at ease . For the antonym, see ill at ease. 2. In a relaxed position in military ranks. The phrase is often used as a command for troops standing at attention to relax, as in At ease, squadron. The command stand at ease is slightly different. A British military dictionary of 1802 described it as standing with the right foot drawn back about six inches and one”s weight put on it. An American version is to stand with one”s feet slightly apart and the hands clasped behind one”s back. See also: ease
(stand) at ˈease
(in the military) used as a command to soldiers to tell them to stand with their feet apart and their hands behind their backsSee also: ease
at (your) ˈease
relaxed and confident and not nervous or embarrassed: I never feel completely at ease with him. OPPOSITE: ill at easeSee also: ease
1. In a relaxed position, especially standing silently at rest with the right foot stationary: put the soldiers at ease while waiting for inspection.
Bạn đang xem: At ease là gì
2. Used as a command for troops to assume a relaxed position.See also: easeSee also:
1．without worry or nervousness；comfortable安适；自在；自如His mind was never at ease from the first day he got married．从结婚的第一天起，他心里就没有平静过。After the doctor”s visit， the patient felt more at ease．经医生出诊看过后，病人感觉舒服多了。2．having facility or readiness才思敏捷She is quite at ease in speaking English．她英文说得十分流畅。
at ease|at one”s ease|ease|her ease|his ease|my ea
adj. or adv. phr. 1. In comfort; without pain or bother. You can”t feel at ease with a toothache. 2. or atone”sease Comfortable in one”s mind; relaxed, not troubled. Often used in the phrase “put at ease” or”putatone”s ease.” We put Mary at her ease during the thunderstorm by reading her stories. Compare: AT HOME2. Antonym: ILL AT EASE, ON EDGE.3. Standing with your right foot in place and without talking in military ranks. The sergeant gave his men the command “At ease!” Compare: PARADE REST.
ill at ease
feel nervous/uncomfortable He appeared to be ill at ease during the interview.
ill at ease|ease|ill
adj. phr. Not feeling at ease or comfortable; anxious; worried; unhappy. Donald had never been to a big party before and he was ill at ease. When Joe first went to dancing school, he was ill at ease, not knowing how to act. Antonym: AT EASE2.
Xem thêm: Slick Là Gì
put at ease
put at ease see at ease.
put you at ease
cause you to relax, break the ice An embarrassing moment can sometimes put you at ease.
set your mind at ease
help you to stop worrying, cause you to relax Here is some news to set your mind at ease: the kids are safe.
Xem thêm: Mã Swift Là Gì
stand at ease
stand at ease see at ease, def. 2.
at an unearthly/ungodly hour at an ungodly hour at anchor at any cost at any price at any rate at arm’s length at around at bat at bay at beck and call at best at best/worst at bottom at close quarters at close range at cross purposes at cross-purposes at daggers drawn at death’s door at death’s doorstep at door at doorstep at each other’s throats at earliest convenience at ease at elbow at every turn at expense at face value at face value, take at fault at feet at fever pitch at fingertips at first at first blush at first glance at first glance/sight at first hand at first light at first sight at full blast at full cock at full pelt at full speed at full strength at full stretch at full throttle at full tilt at grade stamp stamping ground stand stand at ease stand fast stand guard stand in awe
– Từ đồng nghĩa, cách dùng từ tương tự Thành ngữ, tục ngữ at ease
Chuyên mục: Hỏi Đáp